Established in 1922 by Dr. Alfred C. Barnes, The Barnes Foundation is one of the most important collections of Post-Impressionist and early Modernist art in the world. In 2012 the Foundation relocated to a new home in Philadelphia designed by Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects. Abbott Miller and his team at Pentagram worked with the Foundation to capture its distinctive sensibility in a new identity, environmental graphics, publications and website. The Foundation was conceived by Dr. Barnes as a wholly integrated environment in which the objects on display are presented in highly coordinated settings he called “ensembles.” These arrangements inspired the identity, which is based on the forms found within a specific ensemble. Throughout the building various elements recall the presence of Dr. Barnes; for instance, on a garden wall facing the museum café, a handwritten ensemble notation by Dr. Barnes has been rendered in wrought iron.
// From our friends at Communication Arts