The Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna is pleased to announce the reopening of the Theseus Temple, with a new programme of contemporary presentations. Located in the leafy surrounds of Vienna’s central Volksgarten park, the neoclassical Temple was constructed between 1819 and 1823 specifically to house a single work of then-contemporary art: Antonio Canova’s masterpiece Theseus Slaying the Centaur. For almost 70 years this monumental sculpture stood alone inside the building until, in 1891, it was moved to the newly-completed Kunsthistorisches Museum where it stands today on the museum’s grand staircase.
e-flux » Announcements
// From our friends at E-Flux