This showcase of Heiko Waechter’s urban photography is also a clean Flash gallery template for other photographers wanting to showcase their work online.
The design reflects UI designer and photographer Heiko’s interest in interface design and information visualization as regards the presentation of large data sets. The clear, unobtrusive interface draws attention to the images, without sacrificing functionality. It’s also a fluid layout, with a customizable color scheme, multiple view modes, social bookmarking, comments, favorites, RSS feed, display of photo EXIF data, and activity feed.
Heiko didn’t originally set out to release the template to the public, but after receiving extensive positive feedback, he realized that there was strong demand among photographers for a simple and clean gallery with blogging features. His primary challenge was to provide exactly the same feature set for other people to use.
• The site was a labor of love and developed after work hours and on weekends.
• It took six months to design and develop the gallery, plus another six months to convert it into a downloadable template for other photographers to use.
• The target audience for the template are other photographers with some basic Web development skills.
• Heiko designed and developed the gallery in Flash Professional CS4 and Actionscript 3. His friend Jason Smale helped to develop a custom CMS based on CakePHP to drive the gallery.
• Heiko, with the help of his new users, is ironing out the few remaining bugs.
// From our friends at Communication Arts