20 QUESTIONS // Chiara Clemente – Director/Filmmaker
With her first feature length film under her belt, Director Chiara Clemente is about to celebrate another milestone, the opening of her film, “OUR CITY DREAMS : A Portrait of Five Women Artists – Swoon, Ghada Amer, Kiki Smith, Marina Abramovic and Nancy Spero”.
Showing at the Film Forum February 4th – 17th, this spectacular film explores the creative spirit of these five women artists spanning different generations and cultures. We sat down with Chiara for an exclusive interview to find out what makes her tick. View the trailer. PHOTO // Arlu Gomez
1. What inspires you these days?
EARLY ANTONIONI FILMS
2. Who are your real life heroes?
BATMAN AND SPIDERMAN
3. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
WHITE SAND, BABY COCONUTS AND A WINDSURF…OH YEAH AND SOME WIND.
4. What scares you more than anything?
CHEESE ON FISH
5. Which living person do you most admire?
WHEN I WAS 11 IT WAS MICHAEL JORDAN. TODAY I’M NOT SURE. IT ALL GETS MORE COMPLICATED AS YOU GET OLDER.
6. Which living person do you most detest?
I DONT THINK ONE SHOULD WASTE THEIR ENERGY DETESTING ANYONE
7. What makes you laugh hard?
WARIS, MY BOYFRIEND, HE’S A FUNNY GUY
8. Who are your favorite artists of all time?
NANCY SPERO, MARINA ABRAMOVIC, KIKI SMITH, GHADA AMER
9. What’s the best advice you’ve been given?
AD MAIORAM (ALWAYS MOVE TOWARDS GREATER THINGS)
10. What qualities do you most admire in a person?
11. What is your guiltiest of pleasures?
CIAO BELLA MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
12. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
I WOULD BE ABLE TO FLY
13. What word comes to mind when you think of religion?
MAN’S EXCUSE FOR WAR
14. What would you want to be reincarnated as?
15. What do you miss most from your childhood?
MY GRANDFATHER’S BEDTIME STORIES
16. What is your pet peeve?
17. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
AT HOME IN ROMA
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
MAKING MY FIRST FEATURE LENGTH FILM
19. What famous work of art do you most personally relate with?
BOTTICELLI’S BIRTH OF VENUS
20. What comes to mind when you think of Brooklyn?
DELICIOUS INDIAN DINNERS AT MRS AHLUWALIA’S HOUSE